LABOUR RELATIONS SPECIALIST
The Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union is seeking a full-time Labour Relations Specialist. COPE Ontario is a grassroots union with multiple workplaces across the province is seeking to hire a Labour Relations Specialist. The Labour Relations Specialist works as their assigned Locals’ main contact for servicing at the members’ workplaces. Applicants should have demonstrated experience in, and an extensive knowledge of unions and labour relations to assist and expand the union’s capacity through bargaining strong collective agreements and representing members in workplaces.
The selected candidate must be able to perform the following duties and other related duties:
- Membership Service: The Labour Relations Specialist is a resource person and advisor for members with work- related problems. In this regard, the Labour Relations Specialist shall a) provide assistance and accurate advice with grievances and discipline; b) advise members as to their rights and obligations under relevant legislation and regulations, their Collective Agreement, COPE Ontario constitution and the Local’s By-laws.
- Grievances, representation, arbitrations, and other legal matters: The Labour Relations Specialist advises and represents members; investigates, prepares, presents, and represents members in grievances with the assistance of Stewards and Executive officers; and assists with arbitrations, Labour Relations Board (or equivalent) proceedings and makes determinations on the merit and filing of grievances or resolving workplace/policy issues in alternative formats.
- Contract Negotiations: The Labour Relations Specialist, in conjunction with the local union, is the Chief spokesperson for sub-local bargaining teams, and is the lead for all tasks associated with contract negotiations, including research, drafting of contract proposals, bargaining, organizing around the bargaining process, conciliation, mediation, and preparation for job action.
- Resource to the Local’s Executive: The Labour Relations Specialist is a resource person and advisor to the local Executive and assists it in the carrying out of its duties. The Labour Relations Specialist shall provide support and mentorship of local executives and The Labour Relations Specialist will unless otherwise advised, attend monthly Executive meetings, and shall report to the meeting, as deemed appropriate by the Executive. When requested, the Labour Relations Specialist shall attend membership and sub-local membership meetings, and Local committee meetings. Help organize general membership meetings, steward meetings, joint labour- management meetings, and arrange on-site location unit visits.
- External Liaison: The Labour Relations Specialist, in conjunction with the local union, is a liaison between the Local and the Local's Employers and other affiliated groups, including unions, political organizations, associations, students’ unions, etc.
- Administration & Training: The Labour Relations Specialist will assist the Local President and other officers, and conduct workshops, presentations, and training as required.
- It is understood that the emphasis placed on the tasks in this job description may vary from time to time based on the needs of the Local. Setting of priorities shall be done in consultation with COPE Ontario’s Director.
- This job requires the employee to travel to different parts of the province and to work evenings and the occasional weekend as required and agreed to. The workspace is flexible and the office space available is sometimes shared.